This post contains affiliate links. I can make money if you make a purchase after clicking on one of my links.
Welcome to my world.
The bewilderment alot of people feel because their house isn’t any cleaner even though they’re home all the time is what drove me to start this blog.
When I started, this blog was annonymous. I was embarrassed and confused because my house was always a mess no matter what I did. Now its 2020, and sharing what I’ve learned about how to bring a home out of disaster status and keep it under control is my full time gig.
I have bad news and good news.
The bad news is that there isn’t a magical solution. Being in your house doesn’t make it clean. Cleaning is what makes it clean.
The good news is that there is a real-world solution. I’ve figured it out and boiled it down and shared it over and over again,
Today I’m sharing the two small tasks that make the biggest difference. If you do these two things every day (or even almost every day) your house will improve.
Do your dishes
I run my dishwasher at night and empty it in the morning (with morning being a fluid term these days) And may days, lately, I run my dishwasher twice.
Do your dishes (whether you have a dishwasher or not) everyday, at some point during the day, and after a week you’ll figure out the time of day that works best in your home.
Just don’t give up after the first day, if you haven’t been doing your dishes daily, that first day will involve catching up. The time you spend doing dishes on day one is no indication of how long it will take you to do your dishes on the following days.
Do a 5 minute pick up.
I really do mean five minutes. And I do really mean a pick up.
I’m not talking about a speed clean. Don’t stick everything in an empty basket to put away later.
Set a timer for five minutes and start picking things up and putting them away.
It really is that simple.
But I completely understand if your brain wont accept that it’s actually that simple. I’ve written about every objection, every but-what-about-and every she-has-no-idea-what-my-house-is-like thought you could thing of.
Here, though, in this one blog post, I’ll share the basics.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes and stop after 5 minutes. If you keep going fine. But don’t say your going to do 5 minutes and then feel guilty for stopping after 5 minutes.
- 5 minutes will make an impact. 5 minutes everyday (or almost everyday) will make a big impact after multiple days.
- Do a 5 minute pick up when ever you think about doing it.
- Start in the most visible areas of your home.
- Remind yourself that it’s worth teaching your family members this skill even though teaching it isn’t fun at all. Once they get it, the impact multiplies. Example: 5 minutes times 4 people equals 20 minutes of impact on your home.
- Out law pooping during pick up time. According to your unique understanding of your unique family members, make them go before or after. I recommend after because the people who claim to need to poop can draw it out with the hope that you will forget or go ahead with out them.
Is it really this simple to have a beautifully clean home?
There’s so much more to do to have a beautifully clean home.
But if you want a beautifully clean home, this is where you start. No home will ever be beautifully clean, with out doing the dishes.
Every home that’s beautifully clean has people living in it who puts things away.
And even though there’s no magical solution, there’s magic that happens when you do these two things.
Your house will look so much better. Just from these two tasks. I mean it. I wouldn’t have believed it either, but I experienced it. I’d lived all these years thinking the answer to my messy house was a week with nothing else to do so I could clean it perfectly and then start maintaining.
That never worked.
Only when I started doing small things everyday did I start to see real change in my home. I was surprised, too, so don’t feel bad if your skeptical.